Table of Contents
- About Ainsworth
- Award Winners
- Features & Game Types
- Highest Return to Player Slots
- Our Top 5 Picks
- Our View
|Number of Games||100+|
|Products||Online Slots and Slot Machines|
If you were ever looking for a story where a side business turns into big business then Aristocrat Leisure is it! Len Ainsworth started making poker machines to supplement his dental supplies business back in the 50s.
The booster job became the main job in 1953 when Aristocrat Leisure was born. It is now one of the world’s largest manufacturers of slot machines and, of course, online slots.
Even after the huge success of Aristocrat Leisure, Len wasn’t prepared to put his feet up and head off into retirement after he sold it.
Instead, he started Ainsworth Gaming Technology back in 1995 with a simple mission – “to become the leading manufacturer of gaming solutions”.
Like Aristocrat before it, Ainsworth is a bigger player when it comes to slots for land-based casinos and is a relative newbie to the online party. The company is also treading a familiar path to many other operators such as the UK-based Barcrest, when it comes to transferring to the online world.
Because unlike newer studios such as Elk or Yggdrasil, these manufacturers aren’t producing ultra high-end design graphics, bespoke narratives with immersive soundtracks. They’re primarily transferring their land-based approach online, which makes them look less slick than the newcomers.
That doesn’t make them redundant; far from it! It means they understand the type of customer they’re after. Namely, one who isn’t won over by good-looking immersive experiences, but rather someone who likes a bet, is looking for a decent payout and wants to do it in as simple a way as possible.
You won’t find feature-rich animations at these types of operators and complicated bonuses, but you will find decent jackpots rich with nostalgia.
Ainsworth was a relative latecomer to the online party, with their first offering out in 2013.
In 2018, Austrian iGaming giant Novomatic purchased Len Ainsworth’s 52% share in the company. This means that these days Ainsworth sits under the Novomatic umbrella of brands, including Greentube and Bluebat Games.
It is a company that values strong integrity and backs that up with more than 275 licences globally.
Ainsworth’s slot games have been licensed by the UK Gambling Commission, Curacao e-Gaming and the Alderney Gambling Control Commission.
You don’t get to spend 25+ years in the competitive world of slots without having the right credentials!
Their trophy cabinet isn’t as well stocked as some of their competitors, but they have picked up some big gongs over the years, including the prestigious ICE “Golden Dice” award in 2015 for their commitment and advancement in the European market.
Ainsworth’s Historical Horse Racing product was named as one of the Top 20 Most Innovative at the 2019 Gaming Technology Awards by Casino Journal.
Features & Game Types
Ainsworth online slots are unfussy and simple, both in terms of gameplay and design.
They typically have a free spins bonus round triggered by scatter symbols. In the main, scatter symbols are also used to produce high-value combinations. To find yourself at the top of the winner’s enclosure, five scatter symbols usually do the trick.
Ainsworth has two prominent series of games: Quad Shot and King Strike.
Quad Shot is an added reel where if you land five symbols in a row, you have the chance of winning one of four extra payouts.
King Strikes are pretty similar, giving you a chance to win one of four prizes instantly if you get five of a kind.
One unique feature of Ainsworth games is the soundtrack. At the behest of Mr Ainsworth, the sound on the games tends to replicate the “clunking” of mechanical slots as they land with a very familiar “ting, ting” when you win.
Ainsworth has developed a range of themed slots from Western to Aztec, Knights to Oriental.
Highest Return to Player Slots
In our experience, some of the older online slot providers who started life-making land-based slots tend to have lower RTP rates than some of the newer studios on the market. And that’s exactly how Ainsworth games act. That’s not a bad thing if you like less frequent but bigger payouts. But if you’re a fan of high RTP games, here are some of the higher percentage games offered by Ainsworth.
Amazon Gold – RTP 96.5%
Jade Emperor King Strike – RTP 94.4%
Big Thunder – RTP 94.4%
Our Top 5 Picks
- Island Princess Quad Shot – This Aztec-inspired slot hits all the buttons for an Ainsworth slot. With expanding wilds, five reels, three rows and 25 pay lines. Ainsworth’s unique Quad Shot feature gives players an additional spinning reel where they have the chance to win one of four additional payouts when you land five symbols in a row on the main board. Three gold coin scatter symbols reward you with eight free spins; free spins are boosted back to eight if you land two more gold coins in the bonus feature. With medium volatility and an RTP of 94.33%, this is a highly playable game.
- Thunder Struck Quad Shot – The jungle drums beat a loud tune in this classic-looking slot. With 25 pay lines, five reels and three rows Thunder Struck gives you the chance to win big with its Quad Shot feature. Land five symbols in a row for the chance to spin a Major, Maxi, Minor or Mini prizes. Three Thunder Struck scatter symbols get you on the board with eight free spins waiting for you. This medium volatility slot has an RTP of 94.39%.
- Jade Emperor King Strike – Fans of Chinese-themed slots will enjoy this trip to the Far East. With five reels and 25 pay lines, the big wins come when the sixth reel bounces in after you get five-in-a-row symbols across the board. This wheel spins, and if it lands on a Major, Maxi, Minor or Mini symbol, you win the corresponding value. If you spin three, four or five temple symbols, you’re rewarded with 10, 15 and 25 free spins, respectively. With an RTP of 94.41%, it’s fairly volatile and well worth a few quid for the chance to win big.
- Mustang Money Super – Enjoy the Wild Wild West with this cowboy-inspired slot. The stallions are truly wild in this fantastic game. This five-reel, three-row slot has 100 pay lines for you to win big. It has medium to high volatility with an RTP of 94.75%. Scatter symbols boost your winnings; five will land you 100x your stake. Two types of free spins are the main features for this game, both will award you ten free spins, but the Super Spin feature sees golden mustangs giving you multipliers up to 3x.
- Rumble Rumble – Get ready to rumble! Seasoned spinners won’t find too many surprises here, but it is still a good slot to play. With a screen emblazoned with flames, running bulls and expanding wilds, it has a lot to offer visually. With five reels and 100 pay lines, there are plenty of ways to win. Scatter symbols can boost winnings, five means a 100x stake payout. Fire bulls landing on a red or blue square kick in two special features. A blue square will see the entire square transform into an expanding wild, whereas a fire bull landing on a red square causes surrounding reel positions to swap to wilds. Three or more scatters kick in the free spins round. The RTP for this game is 94.08%.
Ainsworth only started creating games for online casinos in 2013, but it’s already released more than 100.
They’re big on crossing over their product offering from brick-and-mortar casinos to online, which means if you’re a fan of the old-school slots, you’re in for a treat.
This is a company unconcerned with competing with the animations, trendy narratives and high-end graphics of some of the newer, funkier studios.
Instead, they are comfortable in the knowledge that unfussy, simple slots, that have the potential to payout big, are something desired by a lot of people.