Table of Contents
- Intro to Slot Bonuses
- Types of Slot Bonuses – Deposit, No Deposit, and No Wagering Bonus
- Free Pokie Spins and How They Work
- How to Use Free Bonus Cash on Pokies
- Other Slot Bonuses
- Wagering Requirements and Other Slot Bonus T&Cs
- Pitfalls of Using Slot Bonuses
- What You Should Look for in a Slot Bonus
- Why You Should Claim a Slot Bonus
- Slot Bonuses FAQ
Intro to Slot Bonuses
Any bonus you can use to play real money pokies is a slot bonus. At NZ slot sites, these offers can come in two forms – free slot spins or free cash. New players will get a slot welcome bonus deal, but there are many more exciting promotions for existing players.
Usually, before you begin betting with a slot bonus, you’ll need to use up any real non-bonus cash in your account. Think of the bonus as a way to supplement your bankroll. They’re there to help you play longer and try out more games. Promo codes are another common attribute of online slot bonuses. Some deals require you to enter a unique coupon code to activate them. These online bonuses are far bigger than any rewards offered at land-based casinos.
Types of Slot Bonuses – Deposit, No Deposit, and No Wagering Bonus
We’ll be discussing slot bonuses in three categories as they may be available for new players:
Deposit Slot Bonus
Your first deposit is necessary to claim a deposit slot bonus. Operators will usually offer a percentage bonus match, say 100%. So if you were to deposit $100, you’d receive an extra $100 as a bonus. Where bonus spins are offered instead, your deposit will trigger a stipulated number of spins. The qualifying minimum deposit for claiming this offer is often as low as $10.
No Deposit Slot Bonus
A no deposit slot bonus doesn’t require a deposit to activate it. It’s often called a signup offer because you receive it as soon as you register at new slot sites. It’s also considered a truly free bonus. Also, you can receive no deposit slot bonuses as either free cash or free spins, although the value will be smaller than what you get with the deposit bonus.
No Wagering Slot Bonus
This bonus is unique because it comes without wagering requirements. While they were difficult to come across a few years ago, no wagering slot bonuses are becoming more prominent nowadays. You’ll usually have to make a deposit to trigger this bonus because it’s rare to find a no wagering, no deposit bonus.
Free Pokie Spins and How They Work
Free spins bonuses are the most common form of slot bonuses because they are designed specifically for these games. They are also a lot more convenient since you don’t have to set your bets. You simply open up a slot game and use the spins with their predetermined bet values.
The crucial thing to note about these offers is that they are playable only on a select few games. Depending on the site where you play, there may be just one eligible game or a small group of games. The good news is that these are often really popular titles like Starburst, Book of Dead, Gonzo’s Quest, etc.
You can receive as many as 500 free spins in bonuses at the best slot sites. These will typically be paid out in instalments, say 50 free spins daily over ten days. With most operators, only the minimum deposit will be necessary to activate the full free spins package.
How to Use Free Bonus Cash on Pokies
Bonus cash is also quite popular at slot sites. Unlike free spins, you can use this on a broader range of titles. Suppose the operator offers slots and other casino games. You’ll get to use this bonus on blackjack, roulette, baccarat, etc.
When using free bonus cash on slots, you need to bear in mind the max bet limit, which we’ll discuss further down in this guide. You have to set your bet per spin within the limit stipulated for the bonus.
Where you’ve received a deposit bonus, it’s usually the case that you have to use up your real money balance before you can bet with the bonus. With a no deposit offer, however, you can begin using the bonus immediately.
Other Slot Bonuses
Hundreds or thousands of online pokies are usually available to play at any site. No other game category is this large. So it makes sense that many slot bonuses exist to go with the massive libraries.
Here are some more offers you can use to play at a slot site:
Cashback Slot Bonus
Cashback is a promo in which you receive a portion of your bets as a bonus. Most operators offer such rebates only on lost bets. Others will offer cashback on all your wagers, both winning and losing ones, within a given period, e.g., daily, weekly, or monthly cashback.
Loyalty Program at Slot Sites
A loyalty or VIP program is a casino scheme for rewarding loyal players. You can expect to receive extra bonuses, and special account upgrades the more you play at a slot site with a loyalty program. As you advance in the program, you’ll be eligible for increasingly bigger cash prizes, free spins, cashback, and more. Dedicated account managers, faster payouts, and higher limits are among the non-bonus perks of a loyalty program.
Leaderboard Style Slot Tournaments
Slot tournaments are game challenges that offer massive prizes for top-performing players on the leaderboard. They turn up the engagement factor by allowing healthy competition and they can run for extended periods. Such tournaments may focus on a small group of games or include all slots by a particular software developer. Pragmatic Play and Spinomenal slot tournaments are popular.
Special Offers on Slot Games
Slot sites may provide special offers to promote new games, seasonal deals, reward players’ achievements, etc. Special offers usually award real money. Sometimes, however, you’ll find unique prizes like electronic gadgets and cars up for grabs. These exclusive bonuses are also available at mobile slot sites or apps.
Wagering Requirements and Other Slot Bonus T&Cs
Except for the no wagering bonus, all other slot deals come with wagering requirements. The simple definition of a wagering requirement is the number of times you must roll over or play through the bonus before withdrawing. With a 40x wagering requirement on a $100 bonus, you have to play $4000 in bets before withdrawing the bonus or its winnings.
This is the most demanding bonus condition, especially when there’s a high requirement. The best slot sites NZ should have reasonable wagering requirements under 35x. Those with the lowest or no wagering are even better.
Besides this, there are other terms and conditions to consider regarding slot bonuses. All slot bonuses have time limits within which you must use them. There are also limits on the maximum amount you can bet and win. Using a cash bonus, you must be careful that your bet per spin doesn’t exceed the cap (usually $0.10). As for how much you can win, you’ll only get a payout up to the max limit, even if you were to win more.
As previously mentioned, you can only use the free spins on selected games. In addition to that, there are game contribution percentages to consider. Some games will allow you to complete the wagering requirement faster than others. For instance, slots have a 100% game contribution meaning the full bet amount will count towards wagering. Other games may have a 50% contribution, meaning only half the bet values will count towards wagering.
All these rules define how to use the slot bonus, and you may be unable to redeem your winnings if you don’t fulfil them. That’s why you must read the terms and conditions before you accept a bonus deal. Fortunately, the best bonus sites will be lenient with their terms and conditions so that you can gain good value from their offers.
Pitfalls of Using Slot Bonuses
Many players jump into slot bonuses, enticed by the sight of a free deal. And just like that many players stumble into the pitfalls of these online bonuses. Here are common mistakes you should avoid when using a slot bonus:
- Forgetting to use a promo code – Promo codes are not always required, but where they are necessary, you must use them. Otherwise, you lose your chance of claiming the welcome bonus.
- Playing the wrong games – Slot operators usually won’t let you know that you’re playing the wrong games until you’re about to withdraw your winnings. If you’ve played the wrong games, you’ll most likely have to forfeit the bonus because you won’t have enough time to turn around and play the right ones.
- Withdrawing before completing the wagering requirements – You should never try to withdraw until you’ve cleared the wagering requirement completely. Most slot sites will consider it a breach of terms and void your bonus.
- Wagering on deposit + bonus amount – Although wagering requirements are usually tied to the bonus value alone, sometimes wagering applies to both the deposit and bonus amounts combined. Where the latter is the case, you’ll likely lose all your efforts if you’ve requested a payout after only wagering on the bonus amount.
What You Should Look for in a Slot Bonus
- The quality of the eligible games – Check the quality of the selected games to see if they are titles you enjoy playing. It’s just more fun when the eligible games suit your tastes.
- 100% deposit match or higher – For a slot welcome bonus, you should aim for a minimum 100% match. This is the standard across the best sites we recommend.
- Who can play the bonus – It’s easy to overlook this fact, but several slot bonuses have restrictions on eligible players. First, check that the bonus is available to players in your region or if there are requirements regarding previous gameplay activity (for existing player offers). For instance, only players who have bet a certain amount in a given period will be eligible for a cashback bonus.
- Payment method restrictions – Not all payment methods will allow you to activate a slot bonus. Traditionally, Skrill and Neteller are restricted for bonus claiming, but some operators will take it further and only allow one or two payment providers for claiming the first deposit bonus. If you miss the chance to make your first deposit with an acceptable banking method, you’ll become ineligible.
- Games with 100% weighting contribution – Slots are the best games for bonus wagering because they usually have a 100% contribution. However, there may be some restrictions on which slots contribute this much and which ones don’t. Wagering on games with lower weighting will reduce your chances of completing the requirement before the bonus expiry.
Why You Should Claim a Slot Bonus
There are barely a few reasons why you would want to opt out of a slot bonus, such as high wagering requirements, low weighting contribution, etc. However, the interesting twist here is that where there are several unfavourable aspects of a bonus, the slot site is probably just a mediocre one. When you play at the best sites, the best bonuses are often waiting for you.
Suppose you get your hands on a no deposit deal, you can try new sites for free before you even spend any of your own money. With no wagering offers, you keep whatever you win right away. Bonuses are not compulsory, but you’ll enjoy a richer experience when you claim an excellent slot bonus offer.
Slot Bonuses FAQ
Can I claim a slot bonus when playing on a mobile app?
Yes, most sites will provide the same range of bonuses for desktop play and mobile apps. However, the bonuses offered may sometimes differ, and mobile users will get exclusive deals. Regardless, the mobile offers will be equally as valuable as the desktop promotions.
What is the best slot to play slot free spins?
Different sites use different eligible games based on their discretion. However, a couple of titles pop up quite frequently across free spin offers on the best sites. They include Starburst, Book of Dead, and Gonzo’s Quest.
Can I play progressive jackpots with my slot bonus?
Progressive jackpots are rarely eligible for slot bonuses. These offers have relatively low max win limits anyway, so they’re not designed to maximise progressive slots.
Which slot sites have the lowest wagering requirements?
Some New Zealand slot sites with the lowest wagering requirements are Party Casino, PlayOjo, and Paddy Power. You’ll find that the wagering requirements are as low as 10x, or there’s no wagering required at all.